F-1 Students

An F-1 student is a non immigrant who is pursuing a "full course of study" to achieve a specific educational or professional objective, at an academic institution in the United States that has been designated by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to offer courses of study to such students, and has been enrolled in SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System). Once the educational or professional objectives have been attained, the F-1 student is expected by the U.S. government to return to his or her residence abroad.

F-1 USCIS Packet

  • Maintenance of Status
  • Re-entry into the U.S. after a Temporary Absence
  • On-Campus Work Permit
  • Off-Campus Work Permit (Economic Necessity)
  • Curricular Practical Training
  • Optional Practice Training
  • Transfer of School
  • Extension of Program
  • Reinstatement to Student Status
  • Institution Record Keeping Requirements
  • International Student Marrying a U.S. Citizen
  • Deviation from a Full-Course-of-Study Requirement
  • Transfer to a New Educational Program (ESL-AS/BS)
  • How to Replace a Lost I-20

F-1 Student Forms

J-1 Students & Scholars

Please contact Veronica Caballero:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Veronica.Caballero@uvu.edu                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Phone number:  801-863-5345

Utah Valley University
International Student Services
800 West University Parkway
Orem, UT 84058-6703



Change of Status


UVU does not admit students who are in the process of changing their immigration to F-1 status.