Department Protocol

Technology Management Department Protocol

Exceptions to or Waives of Prerequisites

Technology Management no longer waives prerequisites or co-requisites. 

Late add to classes during late add period

If a student is requesting a late add below are the steps necessary. Remember, it is up to the instructor if they want to add the student.  The instructor must say “yes” for it  to happen and the Technology Management Academic Advisor (Carrie Peterson)  must be notified with below info and confirmation from the instructor via email (the most common issue is that students do not give below info—it is up to them and not the instructor to supply it-- and then are frustrated when the add doesn’t happen even though it cannot be an expectation on their part).  It should be noted, the academic advisor needs TWO DAYS to process any late adds. Those turned in within two days before late add ends may not be accepted.  

Late adds

Late add to classes after late add period

NO late adds after the late add period ends. See for dates and deadlines. 

Class withdrawal after withdrawal period 

NO withdrawals after the end of the withdrawal period as specified on can be approved by faculty without additional approval from the department chair at a minimum.  

The chair and department will not sign any withdrawal form after the last day to officially withdraw as listed on unless one more of below are met at a minimum:

No assignments were turned in nor any classes attended since before the last day to withdraw (ie, in a circumstance in which an unofficial withdraw might apply at the end of the term). This does not guarantee a withdrawal request will be accepted but is criteria for the decision.

A formal letter from accessibility services for a physical or mental health issue via the director of accessibility services (Pola Morrison - justifying the withdraw. This guarantees the withdraw request will be accepted.

A formal letter from the direct supervisor of the place of employment that explains any work changes which justify the withdraw. This does not guarantee a withdrawal request will be accepted but is criteria for the decision. It should be submitted directly to department chair

If not a Technology Management student: if the student is wanting to withdraw from classes after the withdrawal period and Technology Management is not their home department, they need to work through the department chair of their major. 

Receiving Experiential / Challenge Credit for Tech Courses

The technology department only permits experiential/challenge credit on the following courses: Tech 3400, Tech 3700, and Tech 3850. In each of these cases it is at the option of the faculty currently teaching the course and with approval of the department chair.  

Per catalog at,  to receive experiential/challenge credit for a specific course, the student must:
1. Be enrolled at the University.
2. For Challenge credit, complete a comprehensive examination (theoretical and/or applied) with at least a “C-“ grade; or for Experiential credit, provide documentation of practical experience to the satisfaction of the department chairperson and dean showing course objectives have been met; or with the departmental approval, complete an advanced course with a grade of “C-“ or higher (if deemed necessary by the department) as a validation procedure.
3. Pay, in advance, a nonrefundable processing fee.
4. After successful completion of requirements, pay the per-credit-hour fee.
A specific course shall be challenged only once, and a student shall not receive challenge/experiential credit for a course that the student is/or has been previously enrolled in and received a grade, including a “W” grade.
Duplicate credit will not be awarded.
Grades shall be recorded only as “CR” (credit) and shall not be calculated in a student’s university GPA.

The form:

University Advanced Standing (UAS) Requirement

The technology management department follows UAS requirements as specified in the University catalog at inclusive of but not limited to below:

UAS Requirement

Receiving challenge credit for IM 2010

If you wish to take the challenge exam for IM 2010, please review these three documents:




UW Versus I Versus E Grade Resolution

Note: See also to view faculty senate information on this topic

UW Grade

Best practice: UW should be given only when a student stops attending and completing work before the regularly scheduled date to officially withdraw as found in the Student Timetable but did not actually officially withdraw.

Rationale: The assumption here is that the student did not realize the necessity to physically withdraw or made an error in this process, but all intentions of the student were to withdraw from the class prior to the withdrawal deadline

Financial and academic impact: As unofficial withdrawal grades are considered in a student’s GPA calculation, a UW could negatively impact the student’s cumulative GPA Satisfactory Academic Progress standard. Because unofficial withdrawal grades are not considered completed grades, but are considered attempted credit hours, a UW could negatively impact the student’s Completion Rate and Maximum Time Frame Satisfactory Academic Progress standards. Financial aid funds may or may not need to be returned based on a last date of attendance. See Impact of UW, I, W, and E on Financial Aid from T. Howard (3/2016)

Petition to Withdraw (Change UW to W by Student)

For "extenuating circumstances" students can request a Petition for Exception to Academic Policy form from the Registrar. They need documentation for their claim. They can drop off the completed form at the Registrar’s Office – BA 106. Learn more about petitions at

I Grade

Best practice: I should be given only when a student has completed 70% of all course work but was unable to complete because of extenuating circumstances such as incapacitating illness, death in the immediate family, change in work schedule as required by employer, or other similar emergencies and has communicated with the instructor prior to the end of the semester.

Rationale: As per the academic policies and standards listed in the UVU catalog: Students are required to complete all courses for which they are registered by the end of the semester. In some cases, a student may be unable to complete all of the course work because of extenuating circumstances. The term “extenuating circumstances” includes: (1) incapacitating illness which prevents a student from attending classes (usually more than five consecutive class days); (2) a death in the immediate family; (3) change in work schedule as required by employer; or (4) other emergencies deemed acceptable by the instructor. If circumstances are deemed appropriate, the student may petition the instructor for time beyond the end of the semester to finish the work. If the instructor agrees, an “I” grade will be given. An Incomplete Grade Form indicating work completed and work to be completed must be signed by the student, the instructor, and the department chairperson, and turned into the Registrar’s Office at the end of the semester. “I” grades should not be requested nor given for lack of completion of work because of procrastination or dissatisfaction with the grade earned. As a general rule, students must be passing the course and completed 70% or more of the course work in order to qualify for an incomplete.

For policy reference see policy 523 Grading section 5.2.1 #6 and the full section 5.3 at

For incomplete form (agreement between student and faculty) see

Financial and academic impact: As incomplete grades are not considered in a student’s GPA calculation, if the student has an incomplete grade at the time Satisfactory Academic Progress is processed, the incomplete grade will not negatively or positively impact the student’s GPA. If an incomplete grade is not resolved within one year, the incomplete grade is changed to an “E” grade.

E Grade

Best practice: In circumstances where the above two recommendations do not apply but the student has not completed ample work to complete/pass the course, give the grade of E.

Rationale: “E” (failing) indicates inadequate mastery of pertinent skills or repeated absences from class

Financial and academic impact: As failing grades are considered in a student’s GPA calculation, an E could negatively impact the student’s cumulative GPA Satisfactory Academic Progress standard. Because failing grades are not considered earned grades, but are considered attempted credit hours, an E could negatively impact the student’s Completion Rate and Maximum Time Frame Satisfactory Academic Progress standards. Financial aid funds will not be returned. See Impact of UW, I, W and E on Financial Aid from T. Howard (3/2016)

Email Address Use

As per standard protocol at UVU, official UVU email addresses ending in, or will be used for all departmental communications. This applies to all faculty and staff including part time and adjuncts. If you desire to forward your mail, please contact the IT helpdesk ( for assistance or visit the email site  to learn more.