FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

Why doesn't UVU have on-campus dorms?

Utah Valley University believes in maximizing the use of off-campus resources and supports efficient processes already established within the local housing community. Through our support of local businesses, Utah Valley University helps to establish revenue within the local economy by not competing against the local housing market. Through off-campus housing we believe UVU engages the community in mutually beneficial collaboration while students are here attending school.

How do I search for a place to live?

On our homepage, under the “Housing Search” tab, use the drop down menu to assist you in searching for various off-campus housing options.  In the drop down menu you will find the following helps:

  • Proud UVU Sponsors
  • Housing Map
  • Housing Classified Search
  • Housing Booklet

How do I find housing options that are located near UVU's main campus?

Please use the "Housing Map" located under the "Housing Search" tab, to help you find properties that are located near Utah Valley University. Statistics show that students who live closer to campus can better manage their time and show greater success in their schooling.

Do I have to live in "university-approved" housing?

The university does not claim any housing boundaries and does not sponsor, contract, endorse, approve, or certify any housing on or off-campus. Please note, any student housing that states or markets that it is approved by the university is not authorized to do so, by Utah law. Students may live wherever they choose while attending Utah Valley University.

DISCLAIMER: Please reference the "Housing Disclaimer" page.

Is it possible to find housing without coming to the area in person?

While possible, it is not advised to commit to a housing contract before looking at the unit in person or without meeting the landlord. Students can search for available spaces for rent by using the university website, but we recommend making contact with the landlord or management and physically looking at the potential rental property before agreeing to sign a lease or paying a security deposit.  Viewing the rental unit in person enables you to see if the property meets your living standards and gives you an opportunity to develop a directly relationship with the landlord or management.

Do students have to live within a certain area or boundary?

No, students may live wherever they choose while attending UVU. Because the university does not have any rules regarding housing boundaries, students may live in apartments, townhomes, condos, homes, basement apartments, studios, etc.

Does financial aid cover off-campus housing?

There are some types of financial aid that cover living expenses while attending Utah Valley University, however it is not guaranteed with all forms of financial aid. In order to find out which types of financial aid may apply to off-campus housing, please contact the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office at:

Location: Browning Administration Building (BA-105)
Phone: 801-863-8442
Email: FARESPONSE@uvu.edu
Fax: 801-863-8448

How do I find a roommate?

Currently, students need to acquire roommates through family, friends, or friends-of-friends.  If you don’t know anyone, some student housing properties provide roommate-matching services, so make sure you ask the management directly if you are interested in roommate matching.  You can also use online tools and social media sites to help connect you with other students who will be attending Utah Valley University.

Where is the best place to live? 

We would like to say, but unfortunately Utah Valley University and the Department of Housing and Residence Life are regulated and funded by Utah State Law, which means that UVU cannot show bias by recommending one business over another.  Our department is here to provide the best information possible so that students can choose which housing options are the most suitable.  We recommend that students choose what criteria are important to them when determining the best place to live and to visit many housing options before signing a contract.

Where is the cheapest place to live?

The local housing market fluctuates in pricing quite frequently. Often we find that housing rates regularly change with student enrollment, new complexes entering the market, and market competition that often tries to give rental discounts to students in order to compete. This makes it difficult for our department to determine which locations are cheapest, so the university does not provide information directly related to what is “the cheapest place.”  Students will need to take time to shop around and determine price based on their budget.  Please remember, when shopping for student housing, always ask if there is a current promotion or deal.   

Where do I go for legal help if I’m having landlord or roommate problems? 

Students at Utah Valley University may use the free mediation service through the Ombuds located in the Office of Judicial Affairs and Dispute Resolution.  This is a tool that can be utilized to help resolve disputes that may arise between Tenant and a Landlord.  For further information on this service, please contact the Ombuds by phone or email.

  • Location:  UVU Student Life and Wellness Center
  • Phone:  801-863-7237
  • Email:  ombuds@uvu.edu

Are students able to break their leases or contracts?

Unless your lease contains a clause describing such a period, you will be legally bound to the conditions of your lease upon signing it. This is why it is important to make sure that the prospective rental property is up to your standards before signing the lease. 

How long are average leases?

Most leases near the university run for either a 9-month period (academic year) or 12-month period (full calendar year).  Although the following lease start times are the most common, contracts may start anytime during the year.

  • 9-month contracts commonly begin mid August and end in April the following year.
  • 12-month or Year-Round contracts commonly begin in August and end in July the following year.
  • Summer contracts commonly begin in May and end in July of that same year.

Are there leases available just for the summer?

Summer leases are a popular option for many students because this allows students to obtain housing usually for a 3-month period from May through July.  These summer contracts usually come with significant rental discounts, which allow students from out-of-state or those living at home to experience the “true college experience” at a significantly lower cost.  Out-of-state students get an extra benefit in the summertime because UVU tuition is waived for in-state status, which makes school very affordable for these students during the summer. 

Who pays the utilities?

Sometimes certain utility charges are included in the cost of rent. However, any utilities included in the rent should be indicated directly in the lease. If utilities are not included, tenants must set up utility services directly with each utility company. When searching for possible rentals, remember to factor utility costs into your budget.

Please see the section on "Utilities: Let's Get Started" for further information.

What if I have not received my "Renter's Deposit" refund?

Please see the following link to the Utah State Code.  Under the law, this code includes a form for tenants to use, called the "TENANT'S NOTICE TO PROVIDE DEPOSIT DISPOSITION."  

Utah State Code: Section 57-17-3 Deductions from deposit -- Written itemization -- Time for return.

Where can I post my contract for sale?

You can place an ad online with several third-party search engines by going to our site on the"POST AN AD" page.

DISCLAIMER: Please reference the "Housing Disclaimer" page.


Orange Question Bubble




Orange Question Bubble




Orange Question Bubble




Orange Question Bubble




Orange Question Bubble