Financial Aid for Graduate Students


Financial aid for graduate students at Utah Valley University is available. Many of the same Financial Aid rules and regulations that apply to undergraduate students also apply to graduate students.



How do graduate students apply for Financial Aid?

The application process for federal student aid is similar to that for undergraduate students. Please visit our How to Apply page for step-by-step instructions.  

What types of Financial Aid do graduate students qualify for?

Graduate students who have previously earned a bachelor's degree are not eligible for Pell Grants or Direct Subsidized Loans. However, graduate students are eligible for Direct Unsubsidized Loans. Visit our Student Loan Information page for details on the Direct Unsubsidized Loans.

In addition to unsubsidized loans, the Federal Direct PLUS Loan is also available to students pursuing a graduate degree. However, before a Direct PLUS Loan can be awarded for a graduate student, Utah Valley University must calculate your unsubsidized loan eligibility according to the annual and aggregate maximum amounts. We encourage you to accept and maximize your unsubsidized loans before applying for a Direct PLUS Loan. Visit our Student Loan Information page for more details on the Direct PLUS Loans.

How much Financial Aid can I receive as a graduate student, and how much is graduate tuition?

Your maximum financial aid award is subject to annual and aggregate limits and is also based on your Cost of Attendance. For maximum loan limits, please see the graduate student column of the Student Loans Information page. The Cost of Attendance depends on your program of study. The Cost of Attendance charts for graduate programs (which include tuition rates) are listed on our Cost of Attendance webpage.

How many credits do I have to be registered for to receive my student loans?

For federal student loans, you must be enrolled at least half-time, which is 4.5 credits for graduate-level courses.

Are there scholarships available for graduate students?

Generally, graduate students who have previously earned a bachelor's degree are not eligible to apply for Utah Valley University scholarships.

There may be some outside scholarship resources available. The Federal Student Aid website is also a resource available for outside scholarship searches.

Utah Valley University does not affiliate with or endorse any third-party scholarship website. Please exercise caution when pursuing any outside scholarships. Be careful what information you supply to websites. When in doubt, do not supply any personal information.

Where can I find more information about the graduate programs at Utah Valley University?

For general information, please visit the Graduate Studies webpage.